Last night we had a lovely dinner of a sort, with spaghetti sauce with meat, after Joe and I figured out how to get hamburger meat...not an easy feat...but the girls in the store were awesome! We dined with a lovely lady from France who is doing her umpteenth camino and goes it alone...always! She has done some of the seriously obscure routes to Santiago..where they only get one pilgrim thru each week. She does it while her husband stays home as the kids. Inspiring! Well at least to some of us.
Well this morning we awoke easily in our lovely medievil manor house (now in the middle of downtown Redondela) and got our selves ready to go. We had a little misunderstanding about pace and got split up for the day but it worked out very well for all. Joe and I forged ahead at a good clip, which made us happy , and Ray and Adrianne came behind at a speed that suited them. We all wind up in the same place to sleep....so it really didn´t matter that we walk some days seperately. Kind of like some of our bike rides!
When we get the chance to try and figure out how to post photos we will, we´ve all taken scads! Today we saw the ocean again and scaled some serious hills, with streams running straight down the path. The path itself seemed to be in areas largely Roman road, gone to rack and ruin which was amazing. Even more amazing the weather today was completely dry! In fact it was one of those days I was glad I always wear suncscreen, no matter the weather.
The alburge here is lovely, newly built and staffed by the funnies bunch of older gentlemen, who delight in showing us around and flirting a little with the peregrinas. We got to taste, essentially the hootch they had with them and it was out of this world. Sort of a sherry type port.....very very nice at the end of 26k that Joe and I did. (that included a sucsseful trip to the correo - post office to ditch stuff)
The Correo trip is another story for another day, but included more German language to the rescue! We are heading for dinner in amoment. We are going to attempt a Chinese Restaurant in Pontevedre.
Tomorrow is an easy day, only 15k, as the intended destination is closed.
Later, Miss ya´ll, the Pilrgrim runaways!
Here comes the Rain
Apparently the Beatles never spent much time in Galicia
My Personal Favorite!
Even the scarecrows wear raingear in Galicia!
Three Pilgrims hit the road again
One of many bridges leaving Caldas da Reis
Santiago Stigmata
It's beginning to fade...but there is an arrow below the bruise...a perfect replica of the arrows we followed for 120k
SINGLE DIGIT DANCE
This is what happens when pilgrims finally see single digits on the markers...spontaneous dancing!
Our Monto de Gozo, Mountain of Joy
This was our first view of the Cathedral and the city of Santiago
How many men to perfume a church?
This is the moment before the botofumeiro flys! Originally used to "freshen" the air from all the newly arrived pilgrims!
I'm watching you
The dome of the cathedral, and what it takes to make it fly!
Wow
It's just beginning it's trip! and yes it's that big!
More Botafumeria
Take a good look at the ropes, when I saw them tied off later, the white ones were as thick as my forearm.
Are we there yet!
Lovely friends from the road, although Rose and I had "met" online months earlier! Does her hubby look happy or what!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
KSam et ux and et al.
Being a card carrying member of the funniest old men carrying hooch, I resemble that remark. Keep the posts up I need more pins in my Google Earth trace.
Happy trekking. Y'all runnaways.
JoeL
Post a Comment