Here comes the Rain

Here comes the Rain
Apparently the Beatles never spent much time in Galicia

My Personal Favorite!

My Personal Favorite!
Even the scarecrows wear raingear in Galicia!

Three Pilgrims hit the road again

Three Pilgrims hit the road again
One of many bridges leaving Caldas da Reis

Santiago Stigmata

Santiago Stigmata
It's beginning to fade...but there is an arrow below the bruise...a perfect replica of the arrows we followed for 120k

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE

SINGLE DIGIT DANCE
This is what happens when pilgrims finally see single digits on the markers...spontaneous dancing!

Our Monto de Gozo, Mountain of Joy

Our Monto de Gozo, Mountain of Joy
This was our first view of the Cathedral and the city of Santiago

How many men to perfume a church?

How many men to perfume a church?
This is the moment before the botofumeiro flys! Originally used to "freshen" the air from all the newly arrived pilgrims!

I'm watching you

I'm watching you
The dome of the cathedral, and what it takes to make it fly!

Wow

Wow
It's just beginning it's trip! and yes it's that big!

More Botafumeria

More Botafumeria
Take a good look at the ropes, when I saw them tied off later, the white ones were as thick as my forearm.

Are we there yet!

Are we there yet!
Lovely friends from the road, although Rose and I had "met" online months earlier! Does her hubby look happy or what!!

Monday, May 12, 2008

Tweaking!

Ten days and counting....furiously counting!! Now is the final push to get ready, in every way possible. Yesterday, on a lovely sunny Sunday afternoon, Ray treated our fleece sleeping bags w/Permanone...to keep away the dreaded bedbugs, should they try to attack! As many of you know they are becoming a pest all over (in the US too!) from some of the finest hotels to the hostels such as we'll be staying in. So one option is to pre treat you sleeping bag, outside only, with a repellant. I'm not too worried about them, but an ounce of prevention never hurts. So half of us are done, Joe and Adrianne remain to be bug proofed!

On the topic of sleeping accomodations, I got to test sleep the LL Bean fleece sleeping bag (I also added the liner from REI) last night. Well, fell asleep no problem there, but as the night wore on a chill set in and woke me at around 3:00am. Found my thin thermal pants and pulled them on and fell right back to sleep. Guess that means I need to pack those too, as the weather there is close but just a tad cooler than here. Tonight, Ray will be on trial by sleeping bag!


Email from Joe regarding his current sleep status:

"Fleece too cold. Tonight will try fleece and base layer. Then will try other liner + fleece + base layer. If all weighs more than 2 1/2 lbs, then going with orig plan -- sleeping bag..."


Needless to say, Chilly Willy, aka Adrianne...is definitly thinking sleeping bag and warmer layers!! or as she emaile me earlier this morning:

"So unless the weather changes dramatically for the time we are there, I'm thinking I need a real sleeping bag and essentially winter clothes for the evening. As for jammies, I'll probably wind up looking for wool long johns. "

No comments: